Wrong Number

So I've had only 1 or 2 people call me that I didn't know, and they had a wrong number. I had a few friends of m mom call me or text me for a few months after I got my phone, and all I had to do was give them her new number. I've had Utah senators call me, and other politicians asking me to vote for them. But never had a run-in like I'm about to describe to you.

It's 8am on a Saturday, and you're about to get up- but are relishing your last few minutes of sleep. You're looking forward to the 6 1/2 hour drive to see you uncle and his family this evening, and you need to get up early to get everything ready, finish packing, get food into the cooler- all that regular stuff... when your phone starts to ring. You assume it's important since they are calling you at 8am, but maybe it's a friend in Utah where it is actually 9am. Maybe it's your sister telling you how her BYU scholarships dance audition went. So you throw the sheet off and climb down the ladder of your loft bed as fast as you can, and bonk your knee and funny bone really hard as you quickly step over to your desk and grab your phone. You clear your throat, and answer..

You: *slight cough* Hello?
Man with a slight British accent: Hello, I'm looking for Mark Redford? **(the name sounds a bit off, so you say,)**
You: Who?
Man: Mark Redford. I'm looking for Mark Redford.
You: Oh, I'm sorry you have a wrong number. **(You expect the man to say sorry and hang up. NOPE.)**
Man: But this can't be. Mark told me to call him back on this number. This is the same number I called him on a week ago. **(In your head you think, OBVIOUSLY NOT.)**
You (trying your hardest to stay sweet and calm when he's being dumb and woke you up a few minutes early and obviously can't tell by your slightly scratchy voice that he woke you up.): Well, maybe you got one number off when you dialed it.
Man: No, this is the number I called him on. How long have you had this phone number?
You: For about a year.. and before that my mother had it. **(Seriously, overall this number has been in your family for 9 years. You know what you're talking about and just want to tell the guy to leave you alone and hang up on him. But you try to still be nice.)
Man: Are you sure? I'm looking for Mark Redford. Mark Redford? Mark Redford....
**(Seriously, doesn't this guy EVER get a hint? It wasn't even a hint! I told him directly, "..you have the wrong number.")**
You: Well, I'm sorry. I don't know him, and this isn't his number.
Man: How long have you had this phone number?
You (Really? He already asked you this question.. ugh..): I got it about a year ago and before that my mom-- **(he cuts you off. Okay, if he's gonna ARGUE with you about whether it's really your number or not, he better at least have some manners...)**
Man: ..and you're sure you don't know a Mark Redford? He told me to call him back... **(At this point you wonder if it's a prank call from your friends. But no, this guy was legit; unfortunately.)**
You: I'm sure. This is my number; you must have accidentally dialed the number he gave you wrong.
Man: hmm.. well, what's your name? **(Okay, I REALLY don't want to give this guy my name. EVER.)
You: -insert your first name here, but ONLY your first name- ....
Man: Alright, -insert only your first name again-. I'll try to call Mark back again. Goodbye.
You: ...alright. goodbye. 
**quickly hang up so he can't keep talking!**

OK, I can understand a wrong number.. but ARGUING that it's not your number and going on and on and on about it? SERIOUSLY, just say sorry and hang up! I told my mom about it.. she said it was ridiculous. Then I jokingly said, "I should save his number as "DO NOT ANSWER!!" haha" and to that my mom replied, "Do it!" So I did. If you're ever with me and my phone rings, and the caller ID happens to say, "DO NOT ANSWER!!" You'll know who it is!

But hey, I'll have something to tell my extended family at dinner tonight, and that's always good. ;)

Of course, mom did mention.. "With your luck with him, he'd probably leave you a message saying, "I don't understand. This is Mark Redford's number..." "

Let's hope not...

Comments