Movie Night!
So before I moved here to California, I was excited with an idea I had formed.. turned out mom thought of it too. Fooey. Oh well. My plan was to "send my parents" out on a date every or every other Friday. I would babysit the boys, have corndogs or hot dogs with french fries, and then watch a movie with them before sending them to bed.
This has almost exactly happened. But now that I'm doing Paleo, movie night's gonna be a little different. I can't have popcorn, andI can't have store bought candy. I can't have ANY candy.
Today mom cut apples with a special machine.... it sliced them so thin that they became APPLE PAPER. They were so delicous and entertaining to eat that we'll just HAVE to make them again.
...and of course, my brothers want crap-tastic food. Hey- I won't judge them... too much. ;) I wanted that stuff once. Heck, I still kinda... really do. It depends. (This morning at seminary- they had chocolate milk.. and donuts. But I didn't eat them. I'm so proud. :)) Of course CrazyJ wants his.. interesting creations. I love that he is being creative, but.. some of this mixtures make me wanna throw up. Oh well, he's a boy.
...Linus wants mac and cheese with hot dog pennies for dinner. Okay, simple enough. I always make his macaroni the way you make it for curly macaroni though. Curly and elbow noodles for macaroni have different measurements, so I found out a year and a half ago. I like the "curly recipe" better, and it has less milk and margarine anyway. So here it is:
Cook your noodles. Put in 3 TBS. margarine and let it melt. (compared to the 1/4 c. margarine)
Then add 3 TBS. milk (fat % of your choice, I used to use skim) (also compare to 1/4 c. milk)
Then add the cheese powder.
It's really good. :)
CrazyJ? Let's just say... there's many different "ingredients" out and he keeps saying, "Hmm.. I'm thinking... I'm thinking..." Which kinda really scares me sometimes... especially when he says, "Don't ask" as he pulls out the peanut butter and then later says that he is gonna put it IN his hot dogs.... *sigh*
So tonight I am about to make my own Paleo dinner.. and it's gonna be as fancy as I please.. and I'm making it all by myself. My inspiration? The dinner mom made me for my birthday last year. She made exactly what I wanted and even managed to make it Paleo. Here's the link.
---First I need to cut up some chicken. This is one of my pet peeves. It's so.. squishy and slimy and gross... oh well. I must make sacrifices in order to have amazing food. ;)
**I find that cutting chicken when it is slightly frozen is less gross and easier to cut. ;)
-I cut up about 2 cups of chicken into little cubes. (This is a QUITE satisfactory amount of chicken, but I figured I would want to be like, "TRY THIS MOM!" and have some left overs for lunch tomorrow. :))
-I whisked up 1 egg and 1 T. of coconut milk. I then poured this onto the chicken. Then I took a couple small handfuls of coconut flour to estimate how much would cover the chicken.
-Then I cooked/fried the chicken in coconut oil.
-Next I blanched the quinoa. I used 1/2 c. quinoa. (As this is my first time making quinoa by myself, I feel strangely skeptical that 1/2 cup would be enough, but I trust my mom.. so here goes.)
-I strained it, squeezed a little over 1/2 an orange to make 1/2 c. orange juice- which I combined with about 1/3 c. water. I put the orange juice/water combo in the pan and brought it to a boil. Then I added the blanched quinoa and some raisians. Let boil with the lid on (on LOW) for 10 minutes.
-While that was cooking I squeezed the rest of the orange, and and poured that juice on the chicken (which has been sitting in the pan on LOW.)
-While the quinoa was finishing up cooking, I made one of my FAVORITE and quick Paleo treats. :) Which is: dates cut open and filled with almond butter.
**The quinoa was a bit runny, so I lightly strained (meaning I made sure there was still some liquid in the quinoa) the juices, and then poured them into a mug. I drank it like tea. It did have a kinda of quinoa flavor to it, but it was still good. :)
All in all it was quite delicious, but I felt like the chicken was lacking of some flavor. Not sure what, but I'll probably experiment again. :)
This has almost exactly happened. But now that I'm doing Paleo, movie night's gonna be a little different. I can't have popcorn, and
Today mom cut apples with a special machine.... it sliced them so thin that they became APPLE PAPER. They were so delicous and entertaining to eat that we'll just HAVE to make them again.
...and of course, my brothers want crap-tastic food. Hey- I won't judge them... too much. ;) I wanted that stuff once. Heck, I still kinda... really do. It depends. (This morning at seminary- they had chocolate milk.. and donuts. But I didn't eat them. I'm so proud. :)) Of course CrazyJ wants his.. interesting creations. I love that he is being creative, but.. some of this mixtures make me wanna throw up. Oh well, he's a boy.
...Linus wants mac and cheese with hot dog pennies for dinner. Okay, simple enough. I always make his macaroni the way you make it for curly macaroni though. Curly and elbow noodles for macaroni have different measurements, so I found out a year and a half ago. I like the "curly recipe" better, and it has less milk and margarine anyway. So here it is:
Cook your noodles. Put in 3 TBS. margarine and let it melt. (compared to the 1/4 c. margarine)
Then add 3 TBS. milk (fat % of your choice, I used to use skim) (also compare to 1/4 c. milk)
Then add the cheese powder.
It's really good. :)
CrazyJ? Let's just say... there's many different "ingredients" out and he keeps saying, "Hmm.. I'm thinking... I'm thinking..." Which kinda really scares me sometimes... especially when he says, "Don't ask" as he pulls out the peanut butter and then later says that he is gonna put it IN his hot dogs.... *sigh*
So tonight I am about to make my own Paleo dinner.. and it's gonna be as fancy as I please.. and I'm making it all by myself. My inspiration? The dinner mom made me for my birthday last year. She made exactly what I wanted and even managed to make it Paleo. Here's the link.
---First I need to cut up some chicken. This is one of my pet peeves. It's so.. squishy and slimy and gross... oh well. I must make sacrifices in order to have amazing food. ;)
**I find that cutting chicken when it is slightly frozen is less gross and easier to cut. ;)
-I cut up about 2 cups of chicken into little cubes. (This is a QUITE satisfactory amount of chicken, but I figured I would want to be like, "TRY THIS MOM!" and have some left overs for lunch tomorrow. :))
-I whisked up 1 egg and 1 T. of coconut milk. I then poured this onto the chicken. Then I took a couple small handfuls of coconut flour to estimate how much would cover the chicken.
-Then I cooked/fried the chicken in coconut oil.
-I strained it, squeezed a little over 1/2 an orange to make 1/2 c. orange juice- which I combined with about 1/3 c. water. I put the orange juice/water combo in the pan and brought it to a boil. Then I added the blanched quinoa and some raisians. Let boil with the lid on (on LOW) for 10 minutes.
-While that was cooking I squeezed the rest of the orange, and and poured that juice on the chicken (which has been sitting in the pan on LOW.)
-While the quinoa was finishing up cooking, I made one of my FAVORITE and quick Paleo treats. :) Which is: dates cut open and filled with almond butter.
**The quinoa was a bit runny, so I lightly strained (meaning I made sure there was still some liquid in the quinoa) the juices, and then poured them into a mug. I drank it like tea. It did have a kinda of quinoa flavor to it, but it was still good. :)
All in all it was quite delicious, but I felt like the chicken was lacking of some flavor. Not sure what, but I'll probably experiment again. :)
That's all!
-Mastermind
Comments
Post a Comment