Harassment
Harassment: noun the act or an instance of harassing, or disturbing, pestering, or troubling repeatedly; persecution.
I want to point out that it says REPEATEDLY.
Now most of us think of someone being harassed as someone getting beat up, or being hurt physically in some other way. But that is not always that case. In fact- in middle school (at least) it is hardly never the case. In middle school harassment is almost always through words.
The saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones- but words can never hurt me" is usually used as a comeback. But today- I think of it as a line of hope. Because words do hurt. Often more than sticks and stones, or fists and feet.
But I bet you are all wondering where I am going with this. Why I am specifying that most people are harassed mentally/verbally. Well, it because...
I am being harassed.
and it's the truth- words do hurt. It's true that they often hurt more than sticks and stones, or fists and feet. It's true that 95% of the boys in my seventh period (and the boys take up 90% of the class) all harass me. It's true that I usually give them the silent treatment and try to move on in life. It's true that they are jerks and perverts. It's true that today I finally cracked. It's true that they finally made me cry physically instead of just mentally.
It's also true that I just posted this paragraph on my Facebook wall:
This was followed by many comments from concerned friends/family. (and I bet more will appear, even as I am writing this.)
In fact- Superman commented and said this: Do they need a visit from superman?
I commented and said: Hahaha. Actually- I think they do. But you *might* get in trouble for 'giving them a visit'... Just maybe... ;) but I am going to contact one of the administration about it.
And then he replied to that with: Of course but you should have your teacher involved too. If he is not controlling the problem he is contributing to it and should have corrective action too. Just in case I will bring my superman shirt next time I am out there.
and so I wrote a long paragraph to him, which is: My teacher didn't really do much about it when he taught- and he only teaches on Fridays now, seeing as we have a student teacher now. But the student teacher doesn't really do anything about it either. Today when they were bugging me really bad I went and asked him if I could take my stuff in the hall and do my book work out there, and he said he wasn't sure if he could do that. (But it would be totally fine, I even did that last year when my art class was harassing me. (Different boys, though.)) He said I could just move seats- and he gestured to a seat by two of the other boys that harass me. I told him bluntly that they would bug me too. So he allowed me to sit at his desk and work there. But that didn't help too much- it just made the boys more aware that they were getting to me, and that I was trying to avoid it/them. I appreciate that you'll bring your superman shirt, but aren't you flying out here on my last day of school? or are you coming sooner? (Aka- what day are you flying out here? :))
and he said: Yes. Because that is what superman does is fly. I will be there in a week
I just emailed the principal, and we will see how it all 'throws down.'
If you could please keep me in your prayers so that I can get through all of this crap and so I can get all my stuff packed up in time- that would be FANTASTIC. Thank you!
I want to point out that it says REPEATEDLY.
Now most of us think of someone being harassed as someone getting beat up, or being hurt physically in some other way. But that is not always that case. In fact- in middle school (at least) it is hardly never the case. In middle school harassment is almost always through words.
The saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones- but words can never hurt me" is usually used as a comeback. But today- I think of it as a line of hope. Because words do hurt. Often more than sticks and stones, or fists and feet.
But I bet you are all wondering where I am going with this. Why I am specifying that most people are harassed mentally/verbally. Well, it because...
I am being harassed.
and it's the truth- words do hurt. It's true that they often hurt more than sticks and stones, or fists and feet. It's true that 95% of the boys in my seventh period (and the boys take up 90% of the class) all harass me. It's true that I usually give them the silent treatment and try to move on in life. It's true that they are jerks and perverts. It's true that today I finally cracked. It's true that they finally made me cry physically instead of just mentally.
It's also true that I just posted this paragraph on my Facebook wall:
This was followed by many comments from concerned friends/family. (and I bet more will appear, even as I am writing this.)
In fact- Superman commented and said this: Do they need a visit from superman?
I commented and said: Hahaha. Actually- I think they do. But you *might* get in trouble for 'giving them a visit'... Just maybe... ;) but I am going to contact one of the administration about it.
And then he replied to that with: Of course but you should have your teacher involved too. If he is not controlling the problem he is contributing to it and should have corrective action too. Just in case I will bring my superman shirt next time I am out there.
and so I wrote a long paragraph to him, which is: My teacher didn't really do much about it when he taught- and he only teaches on Fridays now, seeing as we have a student teacher now. But the student teacher doesn't really do anything about it either. Today when they were bugging me really bad I went and asked him if I could take my stuff in the hall and do my book work out there, and he said he wasn't sure if he could do that. (But it would be totally fine, I even did that last year when my art class was harassing me. (Different boys, though.)) He said I could just move seats- and he gestured to a seat by two of the other boys that harass me. I told him bluntly that they would bug me too. So he allowed me to sit at his desk and work there. But that didn't help too much- it just made the boys more aware that they were getting to me, and that I was trying to avoid it/them. I appreciate that you'll bring your superman shirt, but aren't you flying out here on my last day of school? or are you coming sooner? (Aka- what day are you flying out here? :))
and he said: Yes. Because that is what superman does is fly. I will be there in a week
I just emailed the principal, and we will see how it all 'throws down.'
If you could please keep me in your prayers so that I can get through all of this crap and so I can get all my stuff packed up in time- that would be FANTASTIC. Thank you!
Comments
Post a Comment