Childhood Memories

You know the older over-pass on Center Street that goes from where Reams used to be to Chevron?? Well, whenever my family would go over that, we would pretend it was Splash Mountain in Disneyland. :D My dad would make the "click-a-click-a" sounds as we went up the hill, and then we would all "scream." When we got to the bottom we would all say "SPLOOSH!!" But they are going to tear that awesome crumbly hill down now. :( Because the new overpass is pretty much done. :-/

Do any of you remember that man who used to sit on the street that went past Sunset View Elementary, and he would flip off all the passing cars? Yeah.. I miss him!! One day my sister and I thought we saw missionaries at his house one day, and then he never was out there flipping us off after that. So we thought "Good for him." But a few weeks ago I found out that he peed on the LDS church building by my dad's house, and he apparently did other offensive things to other people in other places. He is in jail now. :( I mean, I am not saying that he shouldn't learn from his mistakes, and I am NOT saying that flipping someone off is okay... But everyone loved him so much!! ;) :D

When I was in kindergarten the next door class had to share our classroom with us for a few days. They were having construction going on in their closet, and couldn't be in there for safety reasons. A couple of my friends and I were curious, of course- being kindergartners, and so we went through the "Hall of Toilets," (the bathroom that was kind of like a hall in between the two classrooms.) to see the hole in the closet we had heard about.
All that the workers had done to "stop" us from coming in was put a rolling chalk board by the door. Being kindergartners, my friends and I didn't really notice the chalk board, and we just stepped right under it. I was the more daring one, and I went in first- I also went in the farthest... As I was looking at a hole in the ceiling, wondering why everyone was freaking out about a tiny hole in the ceiling, I was not noticing what the ground was like.
I don't remember if my friends warned me, or if they were too shocked, or if they didn't notice either- but BAM I fell into a hole and sharp metal dug pretty much all the way up my back.
Luckily I was wearing my black Alice in Wonderland shoes from Halloween. The tiny heels on them stopped me from falling any further. I told my shocked friends (which included the boy I had a crush on at that time.) to go get Ms. Black. (our teacher.) I guess they were too scared, because after what felt like an hour I gave up hope on them.
I put my hands on either side of me and pushed, Pushed, PUSHED myself out of the hole. I held my shirt up in the back because I didn't want to get blood on whatever lovely shirt I was wearing. ;) I walked out to Ms. Black, who was watching the kids play, and told her that I had hurt my back. She told me to turn around so that she could see.
I think she thought I can just fallen off of the monkey bars or something because her eyes got really big when she saw my back.
She rushed me to the office- where once they had called my mom she made sure I was okay, and went back to teach the class.
I remember laying on the nurses bench thing on my stomach... and there was an old lady there talking to me... Maybe she was the school nurse, I didn't know then, and I don't know now. I didn't cry until my mom got there. (Which was the same case when I broke my arm just a year or so ago.)
She rushed me to the Emergency Room. I had to lie on the back seat on my stomach. They gave me and my mom hospital bracelets and we waited for my "turn" to get all "fixed." When I found out that I needed stitches I FREAKED out. Not even kidding. I tried to run out of the ER. No joke. My mom made me lie back down and sing the ABC's (in my jumbled way) to calm me down.
My dad was STILL at work.
They gave me the stitches, and then they put a neosporeunt of some sort on my back, and wrapped my torso in a type of medical fabric. My mom then took me home- neither of us wanted me to go back to school. When my dad got done with work he went to the school to check out the hole before he came home. He said that is was pretty big and bad. (Like the wolf!! Haha... jk! :D) (My mom had NOT seen the hole. She went later and the whole thing was blocked off with big bookcases.)
When my dad got home he gave me a "bag" of Razzles. I remember them as "Relaxing Lego Candy."
Every night or so we had to wipe the old neosporeunt off, put new stuff on, and replace the medical fabric. I remember part of that process STUNG like none other, so I always brought a stuffed animal into the study with me. (That's where my mom would replace all my "medical junk.") I would practically squeeze the living daylights out of my stuffed animals when she had to do that. It seriously hurt THAT BAD.
I can't remember if I went back to school the next day, or a couple days after the accident, but when I did- everyone was glad to see me, and had even made me a card. :D
Once I got older my parents told me that I had money in the bank from the school or something if I wanted to get plastic surgery on my scar to make it "disappear." They told me that if I didn't use it for surgery that I could only use it for college and stuff. (SO- since I don't want the surgery I already have pretty great college fund started. :D)
Through most of elementary school (At Westridge, not Sunset) I had to wear "scar relief stick pads" on the thickest part of my scar to school. At night I would wear a different kind of "healing sticker." I remember we had to but a wrap around my waist so that the "stickers" wouldn't fall off. :D
My first year at Girl's Camp we all were surprised by getting letters from out parents about a time we had great courage. I could not FOR THE LIFE OF ME think of what was mine was to be about... and then my mom (being a leader, and the writer of the letter.) read the story I just told you aloud. Everyone was already crying, but we cried some more. ;) My mom is/was really proud of me.
I still have the scare and am pretty DANG proud of myself for surviving through all that. :D


Well... that's all for now, folks!! :D

-Emma

Comments