Youth Conference, Part 2

Yesterday was REALLY fun. Youth conference was 8:30-8:30 and.. I SURVIVED. ;) In fact, I thrived! :) (hey- that rhymes.. ;))

First we started off with breakfast followed by a "keynote speaker in the stake chapel". Which was great. Then each member of our large group of youth was able to choose 2 classes out of like 10 to go to. Each class was 50 minutes. I went to "5 Easy Ways to Teach the Gospel" and "Don't be Hatin' on Datin' ". Then we had lunch... (subway, chips, water, bananas... that shabang. ;)) We then had another "keynote speaker in the stake chapel" who turned out to be Stephanie Nielson (NieNie) and her husband, Christian Nielson.

Stephanie and Christian Nielson were in a private plane with one of their friends- and they got in a serious plane crash. Their friend ended up dying from severe burns- and Stephanie had 80% of her body burned.. they didn't think she would live. They said that IF she lived- that she wouldn't have arms, legs, or ears. Christian had about 40% of his body burned. Through constant prayers, and many struggles- or as Christian calls them 'hard blessings' - Through her children being scared of her and not talking to her, through skin grafts and skin from her scalp being used for her face (SO cool, right??) she survived. She has arms, legs, and ears... and believe me- she is even MORE beautiful than even before she was burned in the accident. 2 of Stephanie's daughters take dance at the ballet studio that Muffin goes to, and Muffin even helps to teach their class. I took SO many notes. I was scrambling to find more space on my paper to write more notes... they were so inspiring- I almost wanted to cry from joy. The words spilling from their lips were so knowledgeable and wonderful. They touched ever curve, tip, and hidden corner of my heart.

We then had 2 more 50 min. long (each) classes. I went to "Waltzing Through Life" where we learned how to waltz in many ways... :) Then I went to "So You Think You Can Date?" (There were other lessons available about surviving high school, missionary prep, and others but you can see what topics interested me most.. :))

So here are my notes from youth conference:

5 Easy Ways to Teach the Gospel:
One of the girls in my class said, "People ask me if I've seen the Broadway show "The Book of Mormon". I tell them that I've read the book- and it's SO much better." I wanted to give her a high-five there and then. I was so inspired by that funny little comment that she shared.

"Every saint has a past, and ever sinner has a future" I thought that was amazing. So true, as well!

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood." Well heard, not always well understood though. Don't go blabbing off about to something that someone may not understand. Ask them what they already know, and how they feel about the topic.

The teacher very pointedly said, "Make SURE that they know that THERE IS a God. Make sure that they know that the reason we are here on Earth is like a test, and that the point of life is to live worthily so we can RETURN to our Heavenly Father."

Notes from Christian Nielson:
"We will all experience HARD BLESSINGS in our life if we haven't already."
"Priesthood blessings can do SO much for us."
PRAY.

 I know that I didn't take many notes from Christian, but I felt the spirit strongly during his talk, and I wrote what impressed me MOST. I took a LOT more notes from Stephanie though.

Notes from Stephanie Nielson:
"Angels are real, and they are here for us." 
"The hardest blessings can be the best blessings and you can learn SO much from them."
"NEVER give in to the evils of the world."
"The Lord can helps us through our pain, trials, and HARD BLESSINGS."
"We don't DO things to 'deserve pain'. It's a part of life to have hardships."
"We either live with HOPE or we live with despair..."
"Live with hope- and you WILL have PEACE."  
"PEACE comes through HOPE."
"Life can be so painful and hard... but the hard things in life make us STRONGER."
"Place your attention and interest on the restored gospel of Christ."
She shared, "I had angels behind me EVERY step of the way."
Something else she shared that touched me was, "New skin was GROWING under the gauze and with that brought HOPE."
"I was healed in body, and filled with the spirit." THAT was really touching.
"Life is TRULY eternal."
"Children can give you enough love to be strong through your trials in life."
"Be strong like the pioneers"
"RESPECT and LOVE your body. Your body is a GIFT. Be grateful."
"God will not leave you."


Notes from Testimony Meeting:
"Things often will happen that we don't understand- but we can and will learn from them."
"With our savior we can overcome ANYTHING and EVERYTHING."
"NOTHING will occur in our lives that God does not understand."
"Come what may and everything will be just fine." (Very similar to the saying, "Come what may and love it.")
"ASSUME THE BEST, DOUBT THE WORST." The young man who shared that was about 14 if I remember correctly. His testimony was so powerful and so beautiful, I was on the verge of tears.


There are SO many things I learned from youth conference. It was SO much fun. :)


Tonight there is a Bishop's Youth Fireside... and... *drum roll* MISTLETOE IS COMING TO VISIT ME FOR MY BIRTHDAY THIS WEEK!!!!! :D She's flying here late Thursday night and going home on Sunday evening. I'm sooooo excited! :) She even gets to come to a day of seminary and school with me. :D

Be safe, my friends- and have fun! :)

-Mastermind
 

Comments