Why I Give
When I was 16 and attending Mission Middle College for my junior year of high school, I donated my first ever pint of blood at a blood drive.
As I donated, I was curious about what my blood type was - which you find out a few weeks after your first donation. I joked that I would be okay with being any blood type except O-, since I had learned in middle school that O- could give to anyone (O blood types are universal donors), but could only receive from O-. That kind of scared me.
A few weeks later, I got an email from Red Cross (followed shortly by my donor card in the mail)... my blood type had been determined to be O-.
I laughed out loud. Seemed like Karma was out to get me.
But being O- has turned out to be a blessing rather than a scary curse. I've learned the importance of donating blood and the positive impact I am able to make in other people's lives.
During my second donation, I found out that I have been assigned as a priority donor for babies! Any babies that need blood, especially O-, can come calling for my blood (that sounded way more vampire-ish than it needed to). If there aren't any babies currently in need, my blood goes to any patient in need.
Red Cross even sends me emails to say what city my blood is being transferred to for a patient in need.
Last night, I unfortunately arrived a few minutes too late to my end of the night blood donation appointment at a blood drive. Keep in mind: if you have the last appointment of the day, Red Cross has a policy that you have to show up within the first 5 MINUTES (this used to be 15 minutes). I was upset and felt robbed of my opportunity to give back to the community. I get calls ALL THE TIME from Red Cross since I'm O- and healthy enough to be a constant donor.
So this morning I woke up, ate a breakfast that gave me protein and vitamin C, and drove down to the nearest donation center to hopefully get in as a walk-in without an appointment.
Luckily, they weren't busy and got me right in!
Donating blood is such a big deal to me because I know plenty of people who have gotten in accidents or had surgeries and have NEEDED blood transfusions. Like my mom; my mom has had surgeries and needed blood transfusions afterwards.
Did you know that every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood? And that a single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood?
You give 1 pint when you donate blood and can donate as often as every 56 days.
Think about how many lives you can save.
I know needles aren't everyone's favorite. For me, the hemoglobin test (small prick to the finger to check if you have anemia) is the worst part, and then I just don't watch them put the needle in for the donation.
So PLEASE, PLEASE if you are in good health - GO DONATE. One hour of your time and one pint of your blood can save someone's life.
You can find more information and schedule appointments at redcross.org
Give Blood. Give Life.
![]() |
| First time donating. |
A few weeks later, I got an email from Red Cross (followed shortly by my donor card in the mail)... my blood type had been determined to be O-.
I laughed out loud. Seemed like Karma was out to get me.
But being O- has turned out to be a blessing rather than a scary curse. I've learned the importance of donating blood and the positive impact I am able to make in other people's lives.
During my second donation, I found out that I have been assigned as a priority donor for babies! Any babies that need blood, especially O-, can come calling for my blood (that sounded way more vampire-ish than it needed to). If there aren't any babies currently in need, my blood goes to any patient in need.
Red Cross even sends me emails to say what city my blood is being transferred to for a patient in need.
Right now, there is a critical mass low of blood donations - and Red Cross is calling in all donors.
Last night, I unfortunately arrived a few minutes too late to my end of the night blood donation appointment at a blood drive. Keep in mind: if you have the last appointment of the day, Red Cross has a policy that you have to show up within the first 5 MINUTES (this used to be 15 minutes). I was upset and felt robbed of my opportunity to give back to the community. I get calls ALL THE TIME from Red Cross since I'm O- and healthy enough to be a constant donor.
So this morning I woke up, ate a breakfast that gave me protein and vitamin C, and drove down to the nearest donation center to hopefully get in as a walk-in without an appointment.
Luckily, they weren't busy and got me right in!
Donating blood is such a big deal to me because I know plenty of people who have gotten in accidents or had surgeries and have NEEDED blood transfusions. Like my mom; my mom has had surgeries and needed blood transfusions afterwards.
Did you know that every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood? And that a single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood?
You give 1 pint when you donate blood and can donate as often as every 56 days.
Think about how many lives you can save.
I know needles aren't everyone's favorite. For me, the hemoglobin test (small prick to the finger to check if you have anemia) is the worst part, and then I just don't watch them put the needle in for the donation.
So PLEASE, PLEASE if you are in good health - GO DONATE. One hour of your time and one pint of your blood can save someone's life.
You can find more information and schedule appointments at redcross.org
Give Blood. Give Life.
![]() |
| SO happy that I got to donate today! |






Comments
Post a Comment