Reflections

I've been doing a lot of self-reflecting lately. On how I've handled situations, how I've treated others, how I've treated myself...

And I've learned a lot of things.

I've always known that I struggle with patience. It's always been hard for me, because I'm usually a motivated person who wants things to work NOW. I've slowly been learning to be more patient through lessons at church. Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is such a rich blessing in my life. I gain strength from my weekly services such as church on Sunday (which is three hours split into three classes: Sacrament Meeting (congregational), Sunday School (youth classes), and Young Woman's (women ages 12-18). There are other classes for adults and younger children as well), Seminary (6am weekday scripture class for high school students), Mutual (mid-week activity for youth ages 12-18), and occasionally a youth dance (ages 14-18) on Saturdays. As I strive to be more Christ-like, I've become better at being patient. But I still struggle exponentially.

Lately I've been focusing more on being kind. One of my church leaders said that people will "catch" your love and kindness. I've been able to see how it affects those around me if I simply try to be kind. I've noticed that when I try my best to be kind, that I'm more capable of listening to people when they talk to me - even if they usually drive me crazy. It's affected my relationships, of all shapes and sizes, in very positive ways. Simply being kind has helped me to be more patient.

I've also been reflecting a lot on the Atonement. Christ atoned for our sins; a terribly painful thing that ended with his death. But because he suffered for our sins, died for us, and was resurrected - we can repent of our sins and eventually, one day, also be resurrected. I've been thinking about how lucky I am to have a Heavenly Father and a Savior who are so forgiving of me. No matter what I do, they still love me and will forgive me. (This doesn't mean I should sin anyway since they will forgive me. This means that my sins won't hang around me.)

Because of this, I've been thinking about how I've been doing on forgiving others in my life.
And I haven't been very good at it in certain situations.
It's hard. It really is. I hold onto things. I remember details really well usually, which can be such a blessing. But in the area of life of grudges and forgiveness - it's a bit of a curse.

A year ago yesterday, something really difficult happened to me. I struggled for months with it and at one point came out into public about what I was going through. After struggling for months and months, and rejoicing in situations that healed me bit by bit, I can finally 100% move on. I am happy to say that a year after the fact, I have let it go. I have forgiven this person. Something important I have learned and and wish to share is that forgiving someone doesn't negate the pain you've felt. Forgiving someone doesn't mean that what they did was okay or that you are allowing them to do it again. Forgiving someone isn't even truly for them. It can help them to feel at peace about what happened, but forgiving someone is for yourself. When you forgive someone, a load is lifted off of your shoulders. You are able to fully be at peace and move on with your life. It's amazing.

This doesn't mean that you must rush to forgive someone. It isn't easy and doesn't always come fast. But if you're trying at least a little everyday- then you are progressing. You are moving towards being able to forgive them. And progress is good. No one is perfect; we strive to be, but we aren't yet. Progress is always a part of our life. And it truly is good.

Yesterday I was able to celebrate two things. Forgiveness AND three-months since my first kiss with the one I love.

Live moves on. We progress.

Reflecting on our lives is how we truly see how much we HAVE progressed.

Thinking about this makes me love even more that certain LDS temples have reflecting pools.
How beautiful that in such a pure and wonderful place, we can reflect on our lives, actions, and who we are.

LDS Temple in Salt Lake City, Utah.

 
 Don't give up.

-Mastermind

Comments